Our Stories
Bill Weinhardt W9PPG
Dale Bredon W6BGK 
Bob McDonald W4DYF
Charlie Curle AD4F
Jim Franklin K4TMJ 
Elmer Harger N7EL
Byron Engen W4EBA
Hank Greeb N8XX
Gene Gertler, AD2I
Richard Schachter W6HII
Dick Bender W3SYY
Tom Webb W4YOK 
Ron D' Eau Claire AC7AC
Ron Baker WA6AZN
Sam Whitley K5SW 
Gary Borri K9DBR
Steve Jensen W6RHM
Jim Leighty W6UJX
Dan Girand W5ARB
Dan Bathker K6BLG
Bill Bell KN2CZZ 
George Marko K2DWL  
Kenny Cassidy WN2WNC
Rick Faust N2RF
Fred Jensen K6DGW
Alvin Burgland W6WJ
Paul Signorelli W0RW
Jim Brown W5ZIT
Bob Rolfness W7AVK
Paul Danzer N1II
Charlie Lofgren W6JJZ
Joe Montgomery W1DWJ
Dick Dabney K6BZZ
Ray Cadmus W0PFO
John Johnston W3BE
Dan Smith K6PRK
Dick Zalewski W7ZR
Bob Brown W4YFJ
L.B. Cebik W4RNL (sk) 
Carl Yaffey K8NU 
Gary Liljegren W4GAL 
 Paul Johnston W9PJ
Jack Burks K4CNW
Al Cammarata W3AWU
Gene Schonrock W6EAJ
Dave Germeyer W3BJG 
David Quagiana K2MTW
Dan Schobert W9MFG
Jack Schmidling K9ACT
Dan Marks ex-K6IQF
Matt Wheaton W1EMM 
1951 - 1955
1956 - 1960
1961 - 1965
1966 - 1970
1971 - 1975
1976 - 1980
1981 - 1990
1991 - 2000

Bill Bell, KN2CZZ

In 1951 or 1952, there was a story in Boy's Life, a boy scout magazine, about a young man who built a radio and went on the air without a license, and was caught.  That story intrigued me.  I was hooked on two way radio. 

KN2CZZ's QSLI went out and picked up an ARRL license manual.  I made an appointment for the novice test, in July of 1952.  I thought that I was prepared for this test, but I failed the code test.  I was very nervous.  I had to wait for the next test to be given in Syracuse, in January 1953.  The FCC only gave tests twice a year in Syracuse.  Once in July and again in January. 

I took the test in January of 1953.  The novice ticket finally came after I waited 3 months, 2 weeks and a day.  I still have the original license manual that I studied from.  I also have the appointment notice from the FCC for the test.  I also have my original novice license, and my first rig, a Hallicrafters SR-75.  It is a 10 watt input crystal controlled CW transceiver.  Having trouble with the rig, I soon gave up and went on to other things, at the young age of 15. 

  In the mid 70s, I had a re-interest in ham radio and got back into it with the call WB2MOP.  In 1978, the FCC for a short time had a de-regulation in the call sign system.  At the time, I requested my old novice call, KN2CZZ.  I have been enjoying mostly 30 meters, since November, 1982, when we were given the band. 

This hobby has been a joy for me for many years!  

73s, Bill Bell