Our Stories
 Kelly Klaas K7SU
 Neil Friedman N3DF 
 Tom Morgan AF4HL
 Tom Napier AI4QV
 Dave Fuseler NJ4F 
 Brian Wood W0DZ 
 Pete Malvasi W2PM
 Larry Rybacki WA2ARA 
 Grover Cordell WB5FSP
 Ted White N8TW
 Leigh Klotz Sr. N5LK
 Stan Horzepa WA1LOU
 Bob Dunn K5IQ
 Bill Byrnes AB9BD
 John Kosmak W3IK 
 Mike "Jug" Jogoleff WA6MBZ 
 Dennis Kidder W6DQ
 Bill Continelli W2XOY
 Phyllis Webb WN4IIF
 David Kazan AD8Y
 Jim Zimmerman N6KZ
 Paul Huff N8XMS
 Ward Silver N0AX
 Ken Brown N6KB
 Brad Bradfield W5CGH
 Alan Applegate K0BG
1951 - 1955
1956 - 1960
1961 - 1965
1966 - 1970
1971 - 1975
1976 - 1980
1981 - 1990
1991 - 2000

Alan Applegate, K0BG
(Formerly WN0BHE, 1970)

Spurred on by my brother Evan, KØHYG (sk), I was first licensed as a novice effective April 14th, 1970 as WNØBHE. It wasn't until the 25th of April that I actually received the license in the mail. The wait seemed a lot longer than it really was.

At the time, the bands were in fairly good shape, with 15 open most of the day. Although I could use my 40 meter dipole on 15 meters, 90% of my work was on 40, and mostly in the evenings due to work and family duties. It didn't take long to realize an old S40B and a DX40 wasn't going to cut the mustard as the bands started heating up. Regardless, I plugged along and managed to work WAS and WAC within a few weeks. Most of the 40 openings were into South America, and it only took about 2 months to work every country south of Panama.

I passed my General in October, 1970, and in the interim got my code speed to a solid 20 wpm. Once I received my General, I upgraded to an NCX3 which allowed me to use 20 meter CW, and of course phone. I passed the Advanced in January of 1971.

I changed jobs in October of 1971, and started traveling the wild, wooly west. To stay safe I installed a used HW32, 20 meter Heath monobander in my company car, and I was bitten by the mobile bug. After a transfer to Denver, in 1973, I found myself working for CW Electronics, the only amateur radio dealer in the state. I took a Wednesday morning off in February 1976, to take the Extra exam, which I passed. During the 6 block walk back to CW Electronics, I don't think my feet ever touched the ground. I was delighted when my KØBG call came in the mail about 20 days later. Here it is 30 plus years later, and I still enjoy CW work. Not like I did back in my novice days, however.

On the current state of affairs; no CW requirement, and the lack of a novice class license? We're all remiss. Perhaps there are those who blame the ARRL (I've been a member since January 1970), or the FCC, or big business. The real truth is, it was complacency, and every single one of us is guilty!

Alan Applegate, KØBG