Our Stories
 Rick Roznoy K1OF
 Jim Cain K1TN
 Bob Lightner W4GJ
 Rick Tavan N6XI
 Carl Luetzelschwab K9LA
 Gary Yantis W0TM
 Bill Husted KQ4YA
 Mark Nelson AJ2X
 Joe Park WB6AGR
 Richard Pumphrey WN9DDV
 Rick Swain KK8O
 Walt Beverly W4GV
 Steve Meyers W0AZ
 Terry Schieler W0FM
 Fred Merkel AK7D
 Steve Pink KF1Y
 Bob Roske N0UF
 Joe Trombino W2KJ
 "Sig" Signer NV7E
 Glenn Kurzenknabe K3SWZ
 J. Michael Fuller K7CIE
 Michael Betz WB8ZFQ
 Phil Salas AD5X
 John Shidler NS5Z
 Geoff Allsup W1OH
 Ken Widelitz K6LA / VY2TT
 Gary Pearce KN4AQ 
 Dan Gaylord W7IDG 
 AL LaPeter W2AS
 Bob Jameson N3LNP
 Jan Perkins N6AW
1951 - 1955
1956 - 1960
1961 - 1965
1966 - 1970
1971 - 1975
1976 - 1980
1981 - 1990
1991 - 2000

John Shidler, NS5Z
(formerly WN5JSG, 1964)

When I was 12 years old, my father told me about guys who built their own transmitters and receivers and could "talk" via morse code around the world. He told me that my grandfather had been a Continetial Code operator for Postal Telegraph and that as a lad that he delivered telegrams. He had some old book on electronics that he gave me and I began to read it.We built a crystal radio and I can remember laying in bed listening to it at night. I was hooked!
One day he came home with a Hallicrafters SX-100 receiver and I thought that I was the luckiest boy alive. My antenna was a piece of "Bell" wire strubng between 2 trees. I listened to CW in the Novice part of 40 meters and of course to Shortwave Broadcast. As I learned the code and became more proficient, somehow I wound up with a ARRL novice study guide. My Dad had a friend W5AJS, Bud Ports who gave me my Noice and I passed!!!
While we were waiting for my license, my Dad ordered me a Knight Kit T-60 which we built. I still was waiting for my license which took I think about 3 months to arrive and suddenly I was WN5JSG. In those days we were "Rock Bound" and could only use Crystal Control. Since I amd most young Novices only had a few crystals we worked "split". We would call CQ then tune up and down the Novice band listening for another station to call us his frequency.
How exciting that was!!! The thrill of hearing some guy taping out your callsign was pure pleasure. (Just an aside here, although I grew up to be a young adult in the 1960's, I never experimented with drugs, perhaps the reason was that I received such a rush while making contacts that I never was tempted)
My older brother scrapped up the money somehow and bought my some QSL cards for my birthday and I don't think that I ever thanked him enough. He also used to climb the big willow tree in the back yard and adjust my long wire for me.
In the last few years, I have turned to QRP building and operating to try and get back some of that early thrill and I believe that it has worked. Since 1964, Ham Radio has always been a part of my life. When everything else changed, Ham Radio was a stable thing. I thank my Elmers, my father, mother and my two brothers.
John Shidler, NS5Z
Bossier City, Louisiana